Wednesday 31 August 2011

Kamaka Kamaka Kamaka

Mahalo. The day finally arrived when I got to collect the newest family member. Beside the alarm not going off and getting off the bus way to early, we got to the factory on time and I got to meet her.
The factory is just a little place but I saw the double K from across the street.



And this rather cool street marker.



When we entered the little reception area and introduced myself it was like meeting family. They were wonderful, and I met Tekla, who I have been conversing with via email for the past three months. The other women in the office told us to call her Princess. This was some little joke they had going and you know how much I enjoy a joke. Happy to oblige. It got a roaring reception when I said " thank you princess".

We were given a wood token for going on the Kamaka tour and it's pretty cool as it's the cut out sound hole from the ukulele's.
Here are a few shots from the tour.


Each ukulele is hand made and everyone is handled by each person in the factory as is passes through the process.


The factory only makes around 17 ukulele a day.


Each one is hand sanded about four times or more.
Then each one is hand checked for perfection and to ensure they have the perfect tone.


Until each one is collected by it's new owner. Not everyone gets to collect their ukulele off a Kamaka family member.
Here I am happy as a uke player in a Kamaka store!



I've tuned her now and she sounds amazing. Such a beautiful instrument and made by a family who all love their work. Now all she needs is a name that reflects her beauty and perfection.
Aloha.


Uke complete me!

Location:Waikiki

1 comment: