Thursday 25 September 2014

Via ferrata and Venice

So it's been a little while between blogs! There is a good reason for that. Firstly I've been having a lovely time and secondly I've been really crook! I know! On my holiday too, not fair!
My tonsils resembled golf balls and I went into full blown fever etc! It all began just as we left Switzerland and had a solid hold on our arrival in Italy.
I went to the Dolomites for one reason, to climb the Via Ferrata and no pesky virus was going to stop that. So full to the eyeballs with legal pain meds I booked a guide for the Monday then went to bed for two days. Mind you with a view like this, I had to get some photos.



This image was taken from our balcony. Nick had specifically arranged the room and it did not disappoint.
Susie and I walked a little way up the hill to the right in order to catch a gondola to the restaurant on top for lunch.






I had the clear soup but Susie had a lovely Wiener schnitzel and we both enjoyed the view.
On Monday my guide Francesco picked me up early. I was still not well but had broken the fever and the pain meds were helping. As I'm an experienced rock climber he chose Tridantina a moderate route with over a kilometre of ferrata to cover.
Via Ferrata is simply 'the iron way', originally established to allow military troops fighting in the mountains to get around but now an extensive network of routes connecting many peaks.



Here is the route I was to complete. It would take us till lunch to reach the top, where there was a refugo for lunch. Oh a restaurant on top, why not!
Francesco took some photos of me climbing but he hasn't sent them on yet so I've got a few off the internet to give you and idea.






So basically you climb while clipping into the cable, the bridge is right at the top of the route and joins the pillar to the main rock face.

And here's an image sitting having something to eat at the top.






We then had a long decent down the back which is also protected in parts by cables.



It was a great experience only marred by the fact that I had to throw up twice, probably due to the exertion on my flu riddled body. Francesco was wonderfully understanding and suggested I come back one day to climb with him. I think I'll be taking up that offer, the rock is amazing.

The following day we were once again on the move. Down from the mountains to sea level. Venice!
The car was parked on the mainland and we took the vaporetto ( boat bus) over to the heart of Venice to meet our accommodation host Francesca.
Francesca was a real gem. After showing us our apartment she took us on a walk,showed us the best place to eat,what to see and a general rundown of stuff. The canal was directly outside our window so we got to enjoy the gondolas going by with all the singing. I quite enjoyed waving at the tourists and even chatted with a few.
Here are some images from Venice.















Of course we took a gondola ride ourselves, you can't go to Venice and not.



Ironically I purchased a cycle jersey from Venice! There are no bikes and no where to ride! I can just imagine the Venice Aqua bike cycling team. Even the store owner could see the irony and we all got the giggles. Every time we walked past his store he would wave and say hello.
We also went to Murano to see the glass blowing which was a lovely day and we did purchase a few lovely things.






The fellow who made the horse took about 2 minutes to complete it. In all Venice was what you expect it to be. It's an interesting place and I hope it survives. There is mumbling that the big cruise ships won't be allowed soon as it's putting Venice under a lot of strain. Too many people and something about the amount of water they displace!
Anyway that will do for now. I'll blog again soon all about Tuscany and Florence.
Uke complete me.

Location:Località Santa Croce,Radda in Chianti,Italy

1 comment:

  1. Alex - great morning at DISC this morning. So how does one add myself as a regular reader.http://melbourneourhome.blogspot.com.au and this is us - care to swap?

    ReplyDelete