Monday 18 July 2011

Black peak

Up early today. It would have been half four back home. We needed to be at aspiring guides for half seven to head out to the chopper.
All the gear was packed into a van and we were off.
We passed all the traffic waiting to head up to treble cone and jumped on a chopper to take us up to Black Peak.



The ride was amazing with wonderful views over the mountains,and so much snow!



We arrived at Black Peak hut, our home for the next four days and base camp for ice climbing.



After a quick cup of tea we headed out down into the gully to find the ice. No matter how fit you are,nothing can prepare you for walking in thigh deep snow. The going was hard and I mean HARD. You were post holing up to your groin then struggling to release your leg only to have the other one sink. Then you would slide down ice covered vegetation into a deep snow drift,or struggle up the other side of a gully. Just about every step was an effort.

We got down the bottom in around two hours and I got my first look at real ice.


Tim set up a couple of top ropes and I got my first taste of what ice climbing is all about. Problem was I'm very strong in upper body but this sport requires putting all your faith in two points on your toes and using the axes just to balance. I was a beginner all over again and wore myself out very quickly. After four climbs I was completely knackered.

After about two hours climbing, we packed up and headed back to the hut.

Unfortunately our guide was swayed by one of the clients that the best way back was to go straight up the hill.

Words cannot describe how hard this was. I have great endurance and have walked some of Australia's greatest hikes. Some up to 17 days straight. But this was by far the hardest thing I have ever done.

For every step up in the thick snow you slid back down the same distance and at times further. It was so steep, and I had not eaten a great deal,that and I hadn't slept well led to a bit of a breakdown. For a moment there I really thought I would not make it. There were tears of frustration. Everyone went ahead and eventually Tim our guide came back and stayed with me as I battled on.
I cannot express just how hard it was and how I dug so deep to finally get to the hut, shattered!
I could hardly bring myself to eat anything and suffered leg cramps through the night. I would say I slept about three hours and knowing in the morning I would be doing it all over again could hardly sleep a wink.

Will continue the story tomorrow!

Uke complete me!

Location:Wanaka

No comments:

Post a Comment