Wednesday 20 July 2011

Day three - sunrises and ice cliffs

Day three dawned early with Tim supplying hot coffee while I was still in my sleeping bag. I did suggest he come home with me to do the same each morning.
The sun was still rising and the moon had not yet gone to bed.


On average it takes about two hours to get ready for the day. What with having breakfast,melting snow to fill water bottles,packing food and getting all those layers on. Then there is strapping axes and crampons to your pack and getting harness and helmet on.
Five people all trying to do this in a space no bigger than the average bathroom.


today we didn't head all the way to the bottom of the valley, instead we went about half way down to a double waterfall on the opposite side of the gully. This meant a much shorter walk back at the end of the day. Good for me!
The ice was thick with water running behind it. If all went quiet for a moment you could here the water flowing. It's rather an odd situation. I tried not to think too much about it.
Tim once again led up and set up a couple of top ropes.
This next photo is specifically for my music teacher, Helen. 'A chick with a pick'.


And just to prove I didn't just stand around taking photo's of myself here's a climbing shot.


After some top roping we turned the two drops of the water fall into a multi pitch. This was great for two reasons. Firstly I do love multi pitching and secondly every meter climbed was one less I had to slog up the hill in the snow. Bonus.


The day ended just as spectacular as it had started,with mother nature giving us a wonderful sunset. In all a great day.



Uke complete me!

Location:Wanaka airport

2 comments: